1/72 Sd.Kfz.231 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen (8-Rad) Model Kit
is back-ordered. We will ship it separately in 10 to 15 days.
- Newly produced Sd.Kfz.231 w/fine details
- Well-defined vision ports on turret and hull
- Spade realistically molded
- Turret made by 3-directional slide mold
- Slide-molded upper hull
- Slide-molded fenders w/on-vehicle tools
- Underside of hull made by slide mold
- Intricate 2cm KwK 30 L/55 auto-cannon and MG34 included
- Injection-molded tow cables reproduced
- Highly detailed rear hull
- Delicate grill on engine deck
- Turret hatch can be assembled open/closed
- Sharply reproduced cargo and jerry cans
- Chassis possesses full detail
- Detailed wheels w/authentic tire tread pattern
Germany created a number of successful schwerer Panzerspahwagen (“heavy armored reconnaissance vehicles”) to support its forces. In fact, a whole family of vehicles was based on the Sd.Kfz.231 8-Rad (“eight-wheel”) design. This type of heavy armored car was ordered in 1934, and one of its special features was its chassis that featured 8-wheel drive and 8-wheel steering. This chassis was produced by Bussing-NAG and it offered good cross-country mobility. There were dual driver’s controls, which meant the vehicle could drive rapidly in either direction if it came under attack. The 8.3-ton Sd.Kfz.231 was built from 1936 through till May 1942, with some 607 vehicles produced in all (including the closely related Sd.Kfz.232). The Sd.Kfz.231 had a hexagonal-shaped turret mounting a 2cm KwK 30 cannon plus one MG34 machine gun.
Dragon earlier released a brand new 1/72 scale plastic kit of the Sd.Kfz.232, which differed in that it was fitted with more powerful radios and a large frame antenna. Now the Armor Pro series is offering the standard Sd.Kfz.231 8-Rad. The upper and lower hull sections are made as one-piece slide-molded elements. Indeed, the upper hull is completely new, as is the hexagonal-shaped turret. Logically, most other parts stem from the earlier well-detailed Sd.Kfz.232 model. This armored car design was composed of many irregularly shaped and angled plates, so the kit obviously requires extremely precise tolerances when it fits together. Thanks to the use of CAD drawings and high-tech molding techniques, the vehicle’s parts fit together flawlessly. The unique shape of this classic German 8x8 armored vehicle is beautifully captured by Dragon.
ATTENTION MODEL KIT: Not a toy. This set requires both glue and paint in order to be completed. Not included.